Thursday, May 28, 2009

Beauty From the Inside Out

A good friend wanted me to elaborate on the name of my blog page and why it is so important to me. Well, your wish is my pleasure Mr. Revelle!

My passion in life as I have mentioned tons of times before is to make women look and feel beautiful. We all know and recognize the beautiful women (and men) of the world and around us. Outer beauty is eveident. Beautiful hair, flawless skin, well- toned and well endowed bodies (no pun intended), impeccable dressing styles, etc. It is easy to recognize this side of beauty.

Feeling beautiful, or having inner beauty , sometimes isnt so easy. And this is the part I feel I am most passionate about. Between growing up and working in the beauty indsustry, I have seen some of the most attractive women with absolutely no inner beauty. Some were victims of domestic violence. Their mates made them feel like they were nothing. They had spent years hearing and feeling horrible things from a person that supposedly loved them. Others were victims of parents that told them they would never be good enough, or they would never be anything but a good lay (yes, someone's parent told them this). Others boyfriends or husbands abandoned them while pregnant or just because " I can't do this anymore". I could go on and on. I have heard all kinds of things and have even been a domestic violence victim myself. I know what an evil person can do to your insides with their evil words or actions. They can cause you to lose your will to live, to lose your ability to love and be loved. They can shatter your self esteem and make you feel as though you are absolutely nothing.

Developing inner beauty is first realizing that "You Are Fearfully and Wonderfuly Made!" (Psalms 139:14) and next realizing that what has happened to you is of the enemy. His aim is to kill, steal and destroy! He wants you to feel less than. He wants you to think low of yourself so that you will never develop to your full God-Given potential and have the life you desire. I have seen many women come into the salon, pour out their hearts, say they are tired and they want a new 'do to represent starting over only to go back to their same situation. I hate that with a passion because these women are overlooking the beauty and strength God gave them and resorting to weakness. Don't get me wrong. This is not all about bad men and violent situations but these situations are the ones I see most often. Sad but true. Having inner beauty means having strength and confidence, relying on God for everything. Realizing that with God all things are possible and that we don't have to stoop to any level to please someone who is not God.

When a lot of people talk about inner beauty they think about attitudes and people being uppity/stuck-up. I take it alot further than that. In my first marriage, I was married to a man that enjoyed making my life hell. Pregnant or not I was still his punching bag. I can remember going to the YWCA with my baby ( I only had one child at the time- Thank God) and seeing all of those women, so sad and broken. Some of them had two or more kids that had seen their mothers go through un speakable things at the hands of their own fathers and step fathers. I would hear many of them say how many times they had come there. Many of them would stay long enough to recover from broken bones and then return home to have them broken all over again. One lady actually laughed as she told the story of how her husband tried to set her on fire and the only way she could escape was to jump out of the second story window. I found myself trying to console and encourage some of them even though I was in there for the same reason. I had to realize that I was better than that and my daughter WAS NOT going to grow up seeing any so-called man putting his hands on me. Yes, I went through the depression. I went through a period where I didn't want to comb my hair, I didnt want to exist or anything. Many times if it were not for my children and family, I don't know what would have become of me. But I can thankfully say that I called on God and grew some strength and decided to change it.

Ladies, we are beautiful! God made us this way and He is our all and our everything!

Until next time!

No comments: